Friday, May 7, 2010

Vietnamese lacquerwares


I got Vietnamese lacquerwares from my supervisor, Mr. Prasong Ongpreechakul who visited Vietnam on an official business in January 2010. He asked me to take one. I took the copper since there were only two colours left, i.e. copper & gold. A few months later, he was kind enough to let me have the other when I shamelessly asked for it. The silver? Hmm. It's an honour my colleague, B-Rachada allowed me to take picture of it. It's clearly seen that they are very tantalizingly beautiful when there are together. A bit sad I had to return it to her. Apart from refrigerator magnets, these are my first collectibles from Vietnam.

Lacquerware is a long-standing Vietnamese tradition. Usually applied to a papier mache object. It is both light and durable and is also an artwork technique. The quality of lacquerware depends upon the number or processes used - good quality products are expensive. A wide range of lacquerware, and lacquer artwork and objects, are available in souvenir shops and galleries in Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.

1 comment:

  1. My dear - I have no idea this small piece of gift that I gave you, as well as other colleagues, would be one of your treasures. How delightful to learn indeed. I have to keep showering you with gifts now... :-)
    Your PO, one and only...

    ReplyDelete