Saturday, May 8, 2010

Egg Huamanga Carved Stone

This collectible reminds me back to 1999 when my colleague went for training in UNHQ, New York, he brought this carved stone to me. The figurines inside the egg-shaped carved stone represent Christmas Manger with Baby Jesus surrounded by his adoring parents, beautiful animals, and visitors from the East. Being Catholics myself, I was so delighted to have this carved stone as one of my precious collectibles, thanks to Jaswant Singh.

This nativity piece is hand made in Peru out of pure Huamanga Stone. It is a natural white stone found in the Ayacucho region of Peru. Since this is a natural stone, there may some variations within the stone, but this is what makes each piece so unique. Also, there is adistinctive fine glitter within the stone sparkles as the light reflects off of the stone. The figurines within the Huamanga stone were hand carved separately. A lot of work went into this piece of art.

No comments:

Post a Comment