Thursday, April 28, 2011

Teapot



Miniature chrome teapot

Tea is the Britain's number one drink. The British have been the largest per capita tea consumers in the world.

You may have heard the word "high tea". I used to believe that high tea involves things like manners, lace and dainty foods. After doing some research when I wanted to post this miniature chrome teapot, this is what I learnt.

High tea is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 6pm. It is also known as meat tea. High tea usually consists of cold meats, eggs or fish, cakes and sandwiches.

The term “high tea” was originally used to distinguish it from “low tea” or afternoon tea. Low tea was served in a sitting room where low tables (coffee table) were placed near sofas or chairs. The word high referred to a table such as a dining room table and it would be loaded with dinner dishes like meats, cheese, breads, shepherd's pie or steak and kidney pie.

This is one of my collectibles from England brought to me by my eldest daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment