Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Kangaroos


Like Platypus, Kangaroos are endemic to Australia. The kangaroo is a national symbol of Australia. Its emblem is used on the Australian coat of arms, on some of its currency as well as by some of Australia's best known organisations, including Qantas.

A common myth about the kangaroo's English name is that "kangaroo" was a Guugu Yimithirr (an Australian Aboriginal language, the traditional language of the Guugu Yimithirr people of Far North Queensland) phrase for "I don't understand you."

There's a legend that when exploring the area, Lieutenant Cook and naturalist Sir Joseph Banks found the animals. They asked a nearby local what the creatures were called. The local responded "Kangaroo", meaning "I don't understand you", which Cook took to be the name of the creature.

This magnet collectible from my daughter's flight to Australia always reminds me of my 3 daughters and myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment